How to make Red Velvet Cake
· ½ cup /113 grams butter, at room temperature, plus 2 tablespoons to prepare pans
· 3 tablespoons/22 grams cocoa powder, divided
· 1 ½ cups/300 grams sugar
· 2 eggs
· 2 teaspoons/10 milliliters vanilla
· 2 tablespoons/30 milliliters red food coloring
· 1 teaspoon/6 grams salt
· 1 teaspoon/5 grams baking soda
· 2 ½ cups/320 grams flour, sifted
· 1 cup/236 milliliters whole buttermilk
· 1 tablespoon/15 milliliters vinegar
· Ermine icing (see recipe), or other fluffy white icing
1. 1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare three 9-inch cake pans by buttering lightly and sprinkling with 1 tablespoon sifted cocoa powder, tapping pans to coat and discarding extra cocoa.
2. 2. Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time and beat vigorously until each is incorporated. Mix in vanilla.
3. 3. In a separate bowl, make a paste of the remaining 2 tablespoons cocoa and the food coloring. Blend into butter mixture.
4. 4. Sift together remaining dry ingredients. Alternating in 2 batches each, add dry ingredients and buttermilk to the butter mixture. In the last batch of buttermilk, mix in the vinegar before adding to the batter. Mix until blended.
5. 5. Divide batter among 3 pans and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on a rack completely. (Can also be made in 2 cake pans.)
6. 6. To assemble, remove 1 cake from its pan and place flat side down on a serving platter. Drop about 1 cup of icing onto cake and, using a flat spatula, spread evenly over top. Remove the second cake from its pan. Place flat side down on top of first layer. Use remaining frosting to cover top and sides of cake.
Please Comment and Share.